Stevenage council tenant evicted over anti-social behaviour
- Credit: Archant
A man has been evicted from his council flat after letting someone else live there.
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) worked with Herts Police to terminate Mark Simmonds’ tenancy at Lapwing Rise for anti-social behaviour.
Following complaints from neighbours who suspected drug dealing was taking place at at the address, the council’s housing team began investigating Simmonds. At the same time the council’s Income Team were also taking action against Simmonds for rent arrears.
While no evidence of drug dealing was found, the council’s investigations discovered that Simmonds was not living at the property and that he was allowing a friend to stay there. Whilst at court, Mr Simmonds agreed to terminate his tenancy and on April 28 council officers, along with the police, gained entry to the property and carried out a lock change.
SBC’s Strategic Director, Matt Partridge said “This investigation clearly shows we will not tolerate tenants committing anti-social behaviour at any of our properties.
You may also want to watch:
“Our teams will always act promptly and will prosecute persistent anti-social behaviour offenders.”
Safer Neighbourhood Inspector Simon Tabert said “The Police and Stevenage Borough Council have a strong partnership and this is yet another example of how seriously we treat Anti-Social Behaviour and how committed we are to making Stevenage a safe place to live.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema