Stevenage council tenant ambassador remembered
- Credit: Archant
AN AMBASSADOR for council tenants who helped shape the housing service has been remembered with a memorial.
Two benches and a commemorative plaque bearing the name of John Ginger have been unveiled at Harrow Court in Silam Road, Stevenage, where the 72-year-old lived prior to his death in June last year.
John regularly participated in resident activities involving Stevenage Borough Council and was a member of a number of groups and committees.
Stevenage mayor John Lloyd and borough councillor Ann Webb unveiled the memorial last week.
John’s daughter Cheryl Devine, who attended the event, said: “Our father was a wonderful genteel man with a passion to help others. The plight and wishes of fellow residents and neighbours always found an ear with dad. He was certainly tenacious and a stalwart for the high rise tenants.
You may also want to watch:
“He would have been so proud to be remembered by the lovely plaque and benches in Harrow Court. We hope that representatives of the buildings will continue to ensure tenants have a voice to create a caring community and enjoyable environment to live and grow in.”
Cllr Webb, the council’s executive member for housing, added: “John was an extremely friendly and caring person and is sadly missed. He was an excellent ambassador for council tenants in Stevenage, and his work on their behalf helped shape the council housing service that we have today.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 5 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 6 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
“I’m honoured to be unveiling this memorial which will provide a lasting legacy for John, as well as a relaxing seating area for his family, friends, and fellow Stevenage residents.”