Stevenage council leader in the frame as next MP
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat. News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat.
News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest.
Cllr Taylor said: "Obviously I will have to discuss it with colleagues and there has to be a proper selection process. There will be a local selection process taking place. I have no doubt there will be a number of people who will put their names forward - I will certainly be one of them."
Cllr Taylor took over as Leader of SBC in 2006.
You may also want to watch:
The mother-of-three is the first female Leader of the council, and has been a member since 1997.
She represents the Symonds Green ward of Stevenage and sits on a number of committees - Executive, Herts Highways Joint Member Panel, and Old Town, Symonds Green and Woodfield Action Team.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 10 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
Cllr Taylor is also a Labour Group Leader on Hertfordshire County Council, and represents the Bedwell division.
She was born in Stevenage and, apart from some short periods of time in France, has lived in the town all her life.
Cllr Taylor has an honours degree in English and History and is a fluent French speaker.