Stevenage council leader in the frame as next MP
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat. News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat.
News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest.
Cllr Taylor said: "Obviously I will have to discuss it with colleagues and there has to be a proper selection process. There will be a local selection process taking place. I have no doubt there will be a number of people who will put their names forward - I will certainly be one of them."
Cllr Taylor took over as Leader of SBC in 2006.
The mother-of-three is the first female Leader of the council, and has been a member since 1997.
She represents the Symonds Green ward of Stevenage and sits on a number of committees - Executive, Herts Highways Joint Member Panel, and Old Town, Symonds Green and Woodfield Action Team.
- 1 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 2 Person dies after being hit by train between Hatfield and Finsbury Park
- 3 Recap: Person 'hit by a train' between Welwyn Garden City and London
- 4 Woman's purse 'stolen' outside Stevenage Tesco
- 5 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Beauty products worth 'thousands of pounds' stolen from Hitchin Sainsbury's
- 7 '£1,200 worth of damage' caused during motorbike vandalism
- 8 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 9 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 10 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
Cllr Taylor is also a Labour Group Leader on Hertfordshire County Council, and represents the Bedwell division.
She was born in Stevenage and, apart from some short periods of time in France, has lived in the town all her life.
Cllr Taylor has an honours degree in English and History and is a fluent French speaker.