Stevenage council leader in the frame as next MP
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat. News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest
THE leader of Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) will put herself forward as a possible Labour candidate to run for the Stevenage MP seat.
News that Barbara Follett is to step down as MP broke this morning and Sharon Taylor has already confirmed her interest.
Cllr Taylor said: "Obviously I will have to discuss it with colleagues and there has to be a proper selection process. There will be a local selection process taking place. I have no doubt there will be a number of people who will put their names forward - I will certainly be one of them."
Cllr Taylor took over as Leader of SBC in 2006.
You may also want to watch:
The mother-of-three is the first female Leader of the council, and has been a member since 1997.
She represents the Symonds Green ward of Stevenage and sits on a number of committees - Executive, Herts Highways Joint Member Panel, and Old Town, Symonds Green and Woodfield Action Team.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
Cllr Taylor is also a Labour Group Leader on Hertfordshire County Council, and represents the Bedwell division.
She was born in Stevenage and, apart from some short periods of time in France, has lived in the town all her life.
Cllr Taylor has an honours degree in English and History and is a fluent French speaker.