Stevenage Costco opening delayed until ‘latter half of 2018’
- Credit: Archant
The planned Stevenage Costco megastore is now set to open in late 2018 – more than a year later than originally estimated.
The American wholesale giants’ scheme to turn the John Lewis depot site in Cavendish Road into a 14,030-square-metre superstore got the green light last March.
Costco’s James Cheesemore then announced a projected opening in the summer of 2017 – but today he told the Comet: “Our best estimation at this stage is to open the Costco warehouse club in the latter half of 2018.”
The Comet has requested clarification as to why this is.
The Costco plans for a members-only warehouse club with parking for 611 cars were unanimously approved by Stevenage Borough Council’s planning committee 12 months ago.
You may also want to watch:
The public reaction at the time was enormous, and overwhelmingly positive – though neighbours were outraged.
Supporters of the store say it could bring up to 250 new jobs over the next five years, as well as new trade and investment into Stevenage.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Opponents, mostly living in Angotts Mead on the other side of Gunnels Wood Road, argue that the development could clog up the area with unmanageable traffic and pollution – a view shared by council leader Sharon Taylor at the time of the committee vote.
Under the Costco plans the building will retain its Grade II-listed idiosyncratic reinforced concrete roof, designed by the noted architect Felix Candela.
The main entry point will be on the site’s northern side, from Gunnels Wood Road. A junction with traffic lights will be created next to it.
The closest existing Costco store to Stevenage is its Watford branch, which also houses Costco UK’s head office.