Stevenage Costco opening delayed until ‘latter half of 2018’
- Credit: Archant
The planned Stevenage Costco megastore is now set to open in late 2018 – more than a year later than originally estimated.
The American wholesale giants’ scheme to turn the John Lewis depot site in Cavendish Road into a 14,030-square-metre superstore got the green light last March.
Costco’s James Cheesemore then announced a projected opening in the summer of 2017 – but today he told the Comet: “Our best estimation at this stage is to open the Costco warehouse club in the latter half of 2018.”
The Comet has requested clarification as to why this is.
The Costco plans for a members-only warehouse club with parking for 611 cars were unanimously approved by Stevenage Borough Council’s planning committee 12 months ago.
You may also want to watch:
The public reaction at the time was enormous, and overwhelmingly positive – though neighbours were outraged.
Supporters of the store say it could bring up to 250 new jobs over the next five years, as well as new trade and investment into Stevenage.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
Opponents, mostly living in Angotts Mead on the other side of Gunnels Wood Road, argue that the development could clog up the area with unmanageable traffic and pollution – a view shared by council leader Sharon Taylor at the time of the committee vote.
Under the Costco plans the building will retain its Grade II-listed idiosyncratic reinforced concrete roof, designed by the noted architect Felix Candela.
The main entry point will be on the site’s northern side, from Gunnels Wood Road. A junction with traffic lights will be created next to it.
The closest existing Costco store to Stevenage is its Watford branch, which also houses Costco UK’s head office.