Stevenage composer’s private papers archived
- Credit: Archant
The private papers of a musician have been handed over to a historical preservation society.
Correspondence between Elizabeth Poston, a composer and writer, and her friends and family have been given to Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies.
She was born on October 24, 1905, at Highfield House in Pin Green, Stevenage – the site which is now Hampson Park.
In 1914, a year after the death of her father, she and her brother were taken by their mother, Clementine, to live at Rooks Nest House in Stevenage, the childhood home of author E M Forster.
Ms Poston lived there until she died in 1987, at the age of 81.
You may also want to watch:
She was a good friend of Forster’s, whose novel Howards End is loosely based on experiences he had while living in Stevenage.
Researcher John Alabaster said: “It’s wonderful that these documents have been handed over. Elizabeth Poston is a remarkable character in our local history, not something I feel we have a great deal of, and she should not be so easily forgotten.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 4 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 5 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 9 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
“These writings are an invaluable part of our cultural heritage.”
Ms Poston’s literary executor and copyright holder, Simon Campion, presented more than 100 files attributed to her last Monday.
Visit www.hertsdirect.org for more information.
She scored multiple television and radio productions throughout her life, collaborating with literary authors such as C S Lewis and Dylan Thomas.