Stevenage coast past Charlton - up next for the U18s it’s Spurs away, but at home

Stevenage U18's manager Robbie O'Keefe

Stevenage U18's manager Robbie O'Keefe - Credit: Archant

Stevenage booked a date with Spurs after comfortably beating Charlton Athletic in the FA Youth Cup.

From start to finish Boro’s latest crop of youngsters controlled the match and were well worth their 2-0 scoreline; if anything, the score could have been higher in their favour.

They will now take on Spurs’ youngsters in the third round of the competition away, though with Spurs using Boro’s Lamex Stadium for their ‘home’ FA Youth Cup matches this season Stevenage will effectively be the away side at their own ground.

Deploying a 4-4-2 from the off, just like the first team, Boro used their width well with Andronicos Georgiou and Mark McKee in inspired form while up front Claudio Ofosu and Michael Cregan caused the visitors problems all evening.

Liam Brady forced Ashley Maynard-Brewer into an early save before a low ball into the box by the same player was just beyond the feet of Charley O’Keefe.

You may also want to watch:

Cregan then chased a through ball only to be denied by the Charlton keeper who blocked at his feet.

Charlton’s first effort on target forced a decent save out of Dimitrios Kyriatzis as a cross from the left was hit first time by Alex Willis towards the keeper’s right, but he got down well to push it to safety.

Most Read

The Stevenage keeper then made a sensational stop just moments after the start of the second half. From a corner on the right a bullet header was aimed at goal from just six yards and the keeper’s cat-like reflexes saw him instinctively stick up his right hand to keep it out.

At the other end Georgiou twice fired off target as Boro looked for the opener, and it came moments later when Macsen Fraser made a run inside before passing to McKee.

Taking a couple of touches to find space, the winger then drilled low into the far corner from 20 yards.

A second then followed when, with the keeper failing to connect properly to a corner under pressure, the ball dropped to Cregan and the forward tapped in from a yard.

The expected fight back from the visitors didn’t really materialise as Boro were organised and gave them little leeway.

In the dying moments of the game Charlton did have a couple of chances, but Ben Dempsey’s shot was deflected towards goal and Kyriatzis pushed it wide.

Another shot was then fired over the bar as Stevenage comfortably saw out the game.

Stevenage: Kyriatzis, Fraser, Wilmot, Omar, O’Keefe, Brady (Etheridge), Georgiou (Taylor), Guerfi, Cregan, Ofosu, McKee (Dowdridge). Subs: Harness, Croud.

Charlton Athletic: Maynard-Brewer, Bangura, Zemura, Dempsey, Yao (Nwosu), Simpson, Maloney, Morgan, Willis, Isiaka (Abraham), Doughty. Subs: Prall, Birch, Gody.

Att: 292

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter