Stevenage children raise charity funds in memory of their father
- Credit: Archant
Two children have raised more than £500 in memory of their father, who died suddenly last year at the age of 34.
Rebecca and Gemma Walker, of Lime Close in Stevenage, together with their friends from the town’s Ashtree Primary School, took part in a seven-mile sponsored walk last Wednesday.
Rebecca, nine, and Gemma, eight, wanted to raise money for Winston’s Wish - a charity which supports bereaved children - to mark their father’s birthday, April 2.
Anthony Walker died on July 14 last year from ketoacidosis, which occurs when there is a lack of insulin in the body. Instead of breaking down insulin, the body breaks down fat, which causes a build-up of a by-product called ketones, which can be fatal.
Rebecca and Gemma, together with their mother Catherine Wood and their school friends and their parents, walked seven miles from their home to Walkern and back, via Aston.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Wood said: “All the children were amazing and didn’t complain once. There were about 15 of us in total. The total now stands at [more than £500], so the girls are thrilled.”
To sponsor Rebecca and Gemma, visit http://www.justgiving.com/Catherine-Wood7
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
To find out more about Winston’s Wish, visit www.winstonswish.org.uk