Stevenage charity’s book appeal to give deprived Kenyan community a library
- Credit: Archant
A charity is appealing for donations of books so a library can be established in a deprived African community.
Just Be A Child was set up by Stevenage resident Lenka McAlinden in 2013 following a trip to Kenya and aims to support children living in the country through projects, including building playgrounds and libraries.
The charity has so far established two libraries – in Dzunga and in Chidzangoni – and is now looking to take on its third library project.
Lenka said: “We are looking for books yet again. This time we are working with Hertfordshire schools by encouraging pupils to bring their unwanted books to school on a specific date.
“We need books for all ages and genres and we need all of you to get involved, please.
You may also want to watch:
“Help us prevent many wonderful books from ending up in landfill and help children and adults in Kenya enjoy the pleasures of reading.
“While 5,000 books are needed for each of our libraries - which are made from converted shipping containers - to make the shipment worthwhile we need at least 10,000 books.
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 7 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
“We also need toys, jigsaw puzzles, games, arts and craft material, stationery, sports equipment and tools.”
The Highfield School and St Christopher School in Letchworth, as well as St Mary’s School in Baldock, have already signed up to take part.
Any school, club or organisation wishing to get involved can email Lenka at email@example.com
Search for ‘JBAC Book Appeal’ on YouTube to watch a video, created by iBusiness Consultants Hertfordshire, about how important donated books are to people in Kenya.
For a complete list of items needed, and for more about the charity, visit www.justbeachild.com