Stevenage charity in need of volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A charity club faces the risk of closure if more volunteers do not come forward.
The 71 Club, based at Leydon House Day Centre in Stevenage, has been providing recreational space for people with learning difficulties for more than 40 years.
Club treasurer David Wall says that a lack of volunteers is posing a serious threat to the future of the club.
Mr Wall says the club aims to have approximately 20 volunteers working on a rota basis to attend their weekly Wednesday night sessions at the centre in Leyden Road. They are currently down to just 8.
He said: “It’s frustrating because, financially speaking, we’re in a very good position. It’s just a matter of having the manpower to carry out the work that we want to do.
“I would urge anyone with even a slight interest to come down and give it a go. There’s absolutely no commitment and no pressure if you decide it’s not for you. In my experience, everyone who has taken part has left having had a great time.”
The club was first set up in 1971 to provide support for people suffering with learning difficulties with funding from Hertfordshire County Council.
- 1 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 2 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 6 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 9 100 Herts police officers to carry nasal spray to prevent drug deaths
- 10 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
The council withdrew its funding in 2011 but charities Mencap, Leisure Direct and the Linkage Group stepped in, in partnership with several local businesses, to make sure it continued.
If you are interested in volunteering for The 71 Club, contact David Wall on 01438 811631.