Stevenage charity centre faces eviction
- Credit: Archant
Community volunteers have been told they will have to leave as their premises is to be let to a betting company.
YMCA Space Stevenage will no longer operate from its town centre site as its landlord has signed a 10 year lease contract with betting company Paddy Power. Volunteers have been working at the site since 2011.
Many of the people who use the centre found out just last week that the centre will no longer be operational after tomorrow (Friday).
Regular visitor Michelle Mahony, 53, of Archer Road, said: “This centre has been a great place for so many people to come to and make new friends. It has helped keeped people out of trouble when things weren’t quite going their way and it just seems crazy that there’s going to be yet another betting shop in the town. It’s only been here a couple of years but has come to mean so much to so many people.”
The Youth and Community Manager for YMCA Space Stevenage Karen Eyres said “ We have always known that our tenancy could expire at any point , but we are sad as this premises in the heart of the town is ideal for the community people we serve and it has happened at a time of year when people really need us. We are working with all of our partners to see if we can find somewhere from which to continue our work with local young people, vulnerable adults and families.”
You may also want to watch:
Stevenage Borough Council leader Sharon Taylor said: “I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone at YMCA who have made such a difference over the last couple of years and have done so much to bring members of the community together, helping people to build up their confidence and keep others on the right track. We will do all we can to help this group find a new premises where they can continue their excellent work.”
You can contact YMCA’s Hertfordshire division on 01707 290700 or visit www.ymcacentralherts.org.uk for more information.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home