Stevenage caravan fire near A1(M) believed to be arson
- Credit: Archant
A CARAVAN fire which caused heavy smoke to drift across a motorway is believed to be arson.
Emergency services were called to Chadwell Road in Stevenage at about 9.20pm on Saturday after reports that a caravan was alight.
Two firefighting crews from Stevenage tackled the blaze, which spread to a hedge and caused smoke to drift over the A1(M) which runs parallel with the road.
A spokesman for the fire service said the fire was out about an hour later, with the cause believed to be deliberate.
No one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said the caravan, which was burnt down to its chassis, has been recovered for a forensic examination and that investigations are ongoing.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 10 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable