Stevenage caravan fire near A1(M) believed to be arson
- Credit: Archant
A CARAVAN fire which caused heavy smoke to drift across a motorway is believed to be arson.
Emergency services were called to Chadwell Road in Stevenage at about 9.20pm on Saturday after reports that a caravan was alight.
Two firefighting crews from Stevenage tackled the blaze, which spread to a hedge and caused smoke to drift over the A1(M) which runs parallel with the road.
A spokesman for the fire service said the fire was out about an hour later, with the cause believed to be deliberate.
No one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said the caravan, which was burnt down to its chassis, has been recovered for a forensic examination and that investigations are ongoing.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'