Stevenage businesses hit after electric power cable cut
BUSINESSES in a shopping precinct were left without electricity today (Friday) after an electric power cable was accidentally cut.
The electric cable was cut at The Hyde off Hydean Way in Stevenage while workers from Miletree Construction were carrying out a regeneration project at the site.
The accident, which occurred at 10am, did not stop the flow of electricity upon impact but all power was stopped between 12.34pm and 1.54pm as a precaution.
One eyewitness, who didn’t want to be named, said: “There was a plume of black and lots of smoke came up.”
Steven Corkett, co-owner of S&S Computers, a computer repair company at The Hyde, said: “We had computers and laptops sitting there waiting to be done but we couldn’t do anything.”
Fellow owner Sarah Murphy added: “We were worried about the automatic shutters as we live in Wembley, there’s no way we could’ve left.”
Des Barker, from Poplett’s Tackle, said: “Because they let us know a couple of hours in advance we could get all the cold rooms down as low as they could go.
- 1 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 2 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 3 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
- 4 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 5 Player ratings: Stevenage's players assessed in the win over Harrogate
- 6 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 7 Man reportedly 'exposed himself' in front of 14-year-old girl on Thameslink train
- 8 'Terrible' oil spill in Hitchin river causes multiple bird deaths
- 9 Strike to hit Thameslink on bumper day for Premier League football
- 10 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries
“They kept updating us with what was happening and it took an hour and 20 minutes. I was worried about my bait but it was OK.”
A spokesman for Stevenage Borough Council, who have contracted Miletree Construction to carry out the work, said: “It didn’t go through the mains but nicked it. They turned the electricity off to make sure it was safe.”