Stevenage boy, 14, attacked by gang

Police are appealing for witnesses

Police are appealing for witnesses - Credit: Archant

A MOTHER is calling for action after her teenage son was set upon by a gang and attacked.

Sarah Carter says her 14-year-old son has been left bruised and shaken, after allegedly being knocked to the ground and kicked by a group of youths and men.

Mrs Carter, who has asked her son remain anonymous, took the youngster to Lister Hospital, where he was treated by doctors.

The incident happened at about 6.15pm on Monday evening next to the neighbourhood shops in Bedwell, Stevenage.

“He is pretty shaken up,” said Mrs Carter.

“Luckily there are no fractures, but he has got mild concussion, a swollen jaw and marks of trainers on his arms and hand.”

The youngster was with his girlfriend, also 14, at the time of the attack. She was not injured.

Most Read

Mrs Carter said her son had told her there were just a couple of youths to begin with, who shouted abuse at him.

“He did what I have always told him to do and ignored them and carried on walking, then all of a sudden another seven appeared. One hit him round the back of the head, so he fell to the floor. Then they kicked him.”

She added: “He’s off school, and won’t be going in this week. The whole thing has shaken him up.”

Mrs Carter also claimed police hadn’t taken the incident seriously.

She said an initial call to officers had to be chased up and also alleged police did not respond when contacted, via 999, to alert that the gang were still at the scene.

Herts Constabulary disputed the claims.

Chief Inspector Richard Harbon said: “Police in Stevenage always take reports of assaults very seriously and this incident will be thoroughly investigated.

“An officer was deployed to the area following a report about the whereabouts of suspects however sadly none of them could be traced. The victim was also visited the following day so that statements could be taken and the investigation progressed.”

He added: “My officers investigating would like to speak to anyone who saw the incident or who knows who the offenders are. We’re particularly keen to speak to a taxi driver who was in the area at the time and who may have seen what happened.”

At the time of going to press, no arrests had been made.

The youths in the group are described as aged between 14 and 17, wearing white t-shirts and tracksuits. Two were on pedal cycles.

Anyone with information is asked to call the non-emergency number 101.