Stevenage boss praises midfield duo
Byrom and Bostwick were standout performers, but we were tremendous as a team - Westley
Graham Westley praised central midfielders Michael Bostwick and Joel Byrom as they bossed Colchester on Monday with both grabbing goals in the process.
“I was pleased with both the central midfielders, Byrom and Bostwick. I thought they were outstanding and probably our top performers on the day,” the Boro manager said. “When you see a player get that goal which gives them that extra little bit of credit it’s fantastic when they’ve been so courageous, so hard working and shown so much quality in the way they’ve gone about their work.
“The players performed very well out there. They showed that they’ve been extremely professional over the [Christmas] break, got themselves right, invested their time in the right way in the last 72 hours and it was a tremendous display.
“I thought it would pay to get after them at the back. Beardo [Chris Beardsley] and Don [Cowan] were extremely hard-working and forced them back in the early stages and it was from those situations that we managed to develop our play and create those two first half goals.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s no good giving the opposition the chance to come back in the game but ... they came at us at the start of the second half and it was one-way traffic and got the goal they deserved and could have equalised. I thought when we changed shape and Phil [Edwards] ... and Luke [Freeman] came on ... we got back in charge of the game, we managed to dominate possession and scored some cracking goals.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 7 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out