Stevenage boss pleased with opening day display
We looked like a League 1 side - Westley
Graham Westley said his side looked like a League 1 team during their goalless draw with Exeter City on Saturday.
Neither team was able to put the ball in the net at the Lamex on Saturday, but the Boro boss said he was pleased with his side’s performance in the club’s first game since winning promotion from League 2 last season.
“I think we anticipated that there would be a number of differences between League 1 and League 2,” Westley said. “We expected that tactically we’d be asked a few more questions, we expected that physically lads would be more able, and we expected that the mental approach of teams, whether they play home or away, would be different, more aggressive, more positive, and I think we saw all of those things (against Exeter).
“I think we also saw we were ready for it. I think we looked like a League 1 football team ourselves.
You may also want to watch:
“No-one is going to get carried away with a positive opening day and in the end we haven’t won the game so we have got nothing to get too up about, but over the 90 minutes we carved out several good chances but were unfortunate not to put the ball in the net.
“Our defence looked very sound throughout the afternoon so (there are) lots (of things) to be positive about against a side that was eighth in the league last year.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket