Stevenage boss lays down challenge to Marcus Haber
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss Graham Westley has laid down a challenge to returning striker Marcus Haber to prove he has a future at the club.
The 24-year-old striker is back at The Lamex Stadium following what was a largely unsuccessful spell on loan at League 1 rivals Notts County.
In his time at Meadow Lane, Haber started five games, appearing from the bench six times, and scored two goals.
And despite looking out of the picture at Stevenage, Westley has challenged his big frontman to prove him wrong.
“I don’t think anybody who goes to work deserves to go to work with no opportunity to change a mind.” said Westley.
You may also want to watch:
“I sent Marcus out on a long-term loan, he’s been at Notts County, he’s come back in, he’s not had a great loan spell lets face facts, he spent most of it on the bench up there.
“That’s it now he’s been at a club that’s below us in the league and they have sent him back and there is, from what I understand, no further interest.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
“So he’s got to get his head around that, he’s got to think about that, he’s got to think ‘the manager’s sent me out, I’ve been to another club in the same league who are down the bottom they don’t want me, he’s got to get his head around that and as a professional I’m sure he will and I hope he thinks about making changes, changes that make him part of the future here.
“While he’s here he will have the same equal opportunity everybody will.”
Haber will have a tough time of it to displace Francois Zoko up top for Boro - the Ivory Coast striker has netted 10 goals in 16 games in all competitions.
And with Jordan Burrow and Ousmane Tounkara on the fringes, competition for places could be just what Boro need going into a busy festive period.