Stevenage boss hopeful on wide men
Westley expects both Wilson and Laird to be back to full fitness for the visit of Sheffield Wednesday
Stevenage manager Graham Westley expects his side will utilise their wide men better against Sheffield Wednesday tonight (Tuesday) after saying he expects Lawrie Wilson and Scott Laird to be back to full fitness.
Wilson and Laird, two of Boro’s standout performers so far this campaign, were far from their best in Saturday’s draw at Oldham as they recovered from illness and injury respectively, and Westley expects them both to be back to their best against Gary Megson’s men.
Speaking after Saturday’s win, Westley said: “We’ve had one or two lads, today, who have come back after a week out.
“Lawrie was on his sick bed all week and Lairdy was in treatment all week. Arguably if we’d had a bit more in the wide areas today we would have gone on and put on an much more impressive showing so from our point of view those two will be back to full fitness on Tuesday night.”
You may also want to watch:
Westley says that he expects Sheffield Wednesday will be strong at set plays due to the height in their team, but added that although the Owls can play direct football at times he believes they can play the ball around on the floor as well
“They’ve got some very good height in their side,” Westley said.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“It could be a factor from set plays, but they play decent enough football. They’re a hard working side, they’ve got some qualities like most sides in this league so I’m sure they can take the game direct when they need to but they can pass the football just like we can.”
For Boro Graham Westley is likely to start with the same XI which drew at Oldham on Saturday, although Phil Edwards could come in for Joel Byrom to add further steel to the midfield.
Wednesday Nicky Weaver has been ruled out for three months with a knee injury, so Richard O’Donnell will continue to deputise. In midfield, Liam Palmer is expected to come in after a good performance in the 3-1 win over MK Dons on Saturday. Jermaine Johnson, who Palmer replaced on Saturday, is expected to start the game on the bench.
Possible starting XIs
Stevenage (4-4-2): Day, Henry, Charles, Roberts, Bostwick, Wilson, Laird, Mousinho, Byrom, Reid, Beardsley.
Sheff Wed: O’Donnell, Jones (c), Batth, Buxton, Bennett, Palmer, Marshall, Prutton, Semedo, Madine, Morrison.