Stevenage boss expects to ‘call on other players’ over Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Teddy Sheringham will shuffle his pack of players over the busy Christmas period.
The Stevenage boss saw his side earn a 1-1 draw at home to Accrington Stanley on Saturday, and they now face three games in eight days starting with a trip to Crawley Town on Boxing Day followed by home games against Dagenham & Redbridge on December 28 and Leyton Orient on January 2.
Speaking about utilising the squad he has at his disposal, Sheringham said: “It was another point in the right direction. They are a really good team and they were a real test.
“I am disappointed we didn’t win when we were in a commanding position but it is another unbeaten game in our little run we’re on, and it’s certainly nothing to be despondent about.
“I’m not setting us any targets over the Christmas period – what I will say is that there will be a lot of players used.
You may also want to watch:
“[The Accrington] game took a lot of energy out of our players and two games in such a short space of time next week will also take a lot of energy.
“It makes it a little tough but I’ve played in worse. In the old days it was back to back games over Christmas and the New Year. That was when it was really hard. I used to play Boxing Day and the day after – so at least my players get a day off in between now.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
“It seems that we’ve picked up an awful amount of injuries over a short space of time for a club of our size – but that’s why we’ve got a decent sized squad so that we can call on other players.
“And I thought that everyone who came in [against Accrington] who hasn’t been in the starting line up recently did very, very well – and you can’t ask for much more than that as a manager.”