Stevenage Borough Council leader Sharon Taylor honoured for local government leadership
- Credit: Andrew Wiard / reportphotos.com
Leader of Stevenage Borough Council Sharon Taylor has scooped a national award for her work in local government.
Mrs Taylor has been handed the 2016 Councillor Achievement Award for leader of the year by the Local Government Information Unit and the local government funding management organisation CCLA.
The seventh annual awards ceremony was held last Tuesday, November 1, against the backdrop of the Guildhall’s Livery Hall in London.
The awards are the only national ceremony to honour the hard work of councillors from across the country which is often overlooked.
Councillor Taylor was selected as leader of the year for her outstanding commitment to her role as a councillor and council leader.
Jonathan Carr-West, the LGiU’s chief executive, said: “The 2016 Councillor Award winners showcase the best of the best across local government. These are the councillors who are working tirelessly to make our communities better places to live.
“For the past seven years we have been honouring the work of councillors, but this year’s winners have really pushed the envelope. It is such a privilege to honour their achievements. We congratulate Councillor Taylor on her outstanding work and are looking forward to hearing about her future accomplishments.”
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 4 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 8 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
Mrs Taylor has been a councillor for the Symonds Green ward in Stevenage for 19 years, and leader of the council for 10 of these.
She is also a member of Hertfordshire County Council and was leader of Hertfordshire County Council’s Labour Group from 2009 to 2014.
Recent flagship projects she has spearheaded include the ‘No More’ project, which aims to examine the causes and consequences of substance abuse, and has helped hundreds of people affected by it.
She has also been a big champion of creating more affordable housing in Stevenage, and is working on the project to help transform Stevenage town centre
For more see lgiu.org.uk.