Stevenage bartender concocts a 24-carat cocktail for celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage bartender had his taste-blending skills looked over by celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal on Monday in the final of a cocktail-mixing competiton.
Aaron Gilbert, who works at Salt & Good in The Plaza, was successful in a qualifying round and took on five rivals in the final at the Hind’s Head, Heston’s Michelin-starred pub in Bray. The award-winning chef and TV presenter was one of the judges for the prestigious competition.
Aaron, 26, was presented with a box containing unusual ingredients and tasked with inventing a gin cocktail out of them within an hour.
He fashioned a drink called Immortality, based on a classic gin fizz – gin, shiso leaves, prickly pear, egg white and lemon juice were coupled with a 24-carat gold syrup that Aaron made himself.
The drink was then lengthened with soda.
Competition was tough and sadly Aaron. who has lived in Hitchin all his life, wasn’t in the mix for a top three place.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company