Stevenage bartender concocts a 24-carat cocktail for celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage bartender had his taste-blending skills looked over by celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal on Monday in the final of a cocktail-mixing competiton.
Aaron Gilbert, who works at Salt & Good in The Plaza, was successful in a qualifying round and took on five rivals in the final at the Hind’s Head, Heston’s Michelin-starred pub in Bray. The award-winning chef and TV presenter was one of the judges for the prestigious competition.
Aaron, 26, was presented with a box containing unusual ingredients and tasked with inventing a gin cocktail out of them within an hour.
He fashioned a drink called Immortality, based on a classic gin fizz – gin, shiso leaves, prickly pear, egg white and lemon juice were coupled with a 24-carat gold syrup that Aaron made himself.
The drink was then lengthened with soda.
You may also want to watch:
Competition was tough and sadly Aaron. who has lived in Hitchin all his life, wasn’t in the mix for a top three place.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays