Stevenage badly beaten box in need of a hit
- Credit: Archant
The mission to walk to outer space is well on target, but one Stevenage beat box is being left behind.
The box near to Coreys Mill – number 310 in the town network – has been tapped fewer than 200 times since the Beat The Street project to get Stevenage moving started earlier this month.
Now Herts County Council is offering anyone who taps it this weekend the chance to win a Toby Carvery meal for four. Councillor Teresa Heritage, County Hall’s lead member for public health, said: “I would really encourage people to get tapping and have fun this weekend – if you tap the lonely beat box at Corey’s Mill, near Sainsbury’s, you might win a lucky prize.”
Beat the Street is a six-week project which encourages people to get active by checking in at hundreds of high-tech beat boxes around Stevenage and three other towns in the county which have been identified as needing a push to encourage healthier and more active lifestyles.
The more boxes team members from schools and other groups tap, the greater the chance of winning a prize. If the total distance covered tops 500,000 miles £1,000 will be donated to Stevenage and District Riding for the Disabled and the Stevenage Arts Guild.
You may also want to watch:
So far more than 200,000 miles has been covered and there are still four weeks to go.
The most tapped beat box in Stevenage is near Martins Wood Primary School which has had nearly 14,000 hits. For more visit www.hertsdirect.org/healthinherts.
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays