Stevenage Art Society’s stolen mural found abandoned by 12-year-old schoolboy
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage schoolboy thought he’d found a piece of free art when he discovered a stolen mural near his house.
Harvey Benson, 12, had just watched a feature about Free Art Friday – where artists leave their works out for anyone who finds them to keep – on the BBC’s One Show when he came across the mural in Fishers Green.
Dad Dave, 39, said: “He came home and said he’d found this canvas on the green. We went back there together and I couldn’t believe it. I rang the police because I couldn’t see an artist just leaving it around.
“We were totally baffled by it. It was massive and we just did not know what to do with it.”
Barclay School pupil Harvey found the piece while out walking. It makes up half of a large art work inspired by the town’s history and painted more than 40 years ago. It had been placed outside Springfield House Community Centre in the High Street to mark the Stevenage Arts Society’s annual exhibition.
You may also want to watch:
When Dave discovered the front page Comet appeal in the wake of the theft of the mural two weeks ago – pictured right – he contacted the society with the good news.
Society member Alec Craik had worked on restoring the piece to its former glory and said: “It’s a big relief because a lot of work went into it over 40 years. We had just discovered it in the archive and the first time we use it, it gets stolen.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
“I can’t understand why people would carry it all that way unless they’d had a few too many drinks.”