Stevenage apprentice’s skydive from 10,000ft
- Credit: Archant
A student at North Hertfordshire College has jumped out of a plane to raise funds for a charity which helps people with Alzheimer’s.
Sammi-Jo Ward completed a skydive from 10,000ft last week in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society – choosing the cause as her grandmother Maureen Mcmahon suffers from the disease, which can cause memory loss and problems with communication and reasoning.
The 21-year-old from Stevenage, who is currently on an apprenticeship with storage company Principled Offsite Logistics, has now reached her £500 target but is still hoping to raise more funds.
Sammi-Jo was not fazed by the skydive but admitted jumping out of a plane ‘took her breath away’.
She added: “I have raised £500 from my jump to help support sufferers and their families.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a hard battle for many families and the cause does not have a lot of publicity.”
Principled currently employs two apprentices from its Stevenage base but operations director Graham Beales is looking for another young person to come on board.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 4 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 10 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
He said: “We are currently looking for an additional business and administration apprentice who, like Sammi-Jo, will be training with us through North Hertfordshire College. This is an excellent opportunity for a budding young learner to develop with a local company.
“Visit principled.uk.com to find out more.”
To make a donation to the cause log on to www.justgiving.com/Sammi-jo-Ward.