Stevenage and North Herts prepare to go to the polls
A THIRD of the council will be up for election in both North Herts and Stevenage.
There are 15 seats up for election at North Herts District Council (NHDC), when voters go to the polls on May 3.
There are five apiece in Letchworth GC and Hitchin, two in Baldock, and one each in Knebworth, Chesfield and Hitchwood Offa and Hoo.
The Tory run council currently has 34 Conservative councillors, eight Liberal Democrats, and seven Labour.
David Scholes, NHDC’s chief executive, said: “Voting in the local elections will enable residents to help decide the way key local services are delivered over the next five years, giving them a voice on issues that directly affect their communities.”
At Stevenage Borough Council, there are 13 seats up for election.
Representatives from the Labour, Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Green Party, UKIP and Trade Unionists and Socialists Against Cuts parties are standing across those wards.
- 1 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 4 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
- 5 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 6 Baldock Charter Fair returns this week!
- 7 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 8 Starry-eyed Letchworth students meet Britain’s first astronaut
- 9 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 10 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
The Labour controlled council is currently made up of 27 Labour councillors, nine Conservatives and three Liberal Democrats.
• The deadline to register to vote in this year’s election or apply for a postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday. For more information, visit the relevant council website.
For all the stories in the run up to local elections, visit our election section by clicking on the link in the top right-hand corner. You can also view candidates by clicking on the relevant link.