Stevenage and North Herts prepare to go to the polls
A THIRD of the council will be up for election in both North Herts and Stevenage.
There are 15 seats up for election at North Herts District Council (NHDC), when voters go to the polls on May 3.
There are five apiece in Letchworth GC and Hitchin, two in Baldock, and one each in Knebworth, Chesfield and Hitchwood Offa and Hoo.
The Tory run council currently has 34 Conservative councillors, eight Liberal Democrats, and seven Labour.
David Scholes, NHDC’s chief executive, said: “Voting in the local elections will enable residents to help decide the way key local services are delivered over the next five years, giving them a voice on issues that directly affect their communities.”
You may also want to watch:
At Stevenage Borough Council, there are 13 seats up for election.
Representatives from the Labour, Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Green Party, UKIP and Trade Unionists and Socialists Against Cuts parties are standing across those wards.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
The Labour controlled council is currently made up of 27 Labour councillors, nine Conservatives and three Liberal Democrats.
• The deadline to register to vote in this year’s election or apply for a postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday. For more information, visit the relevant council website.
For all the stories in the run up to local elections, visit our election section by clicking on the link in the top right-hand corner. You can also view candidates by clicking on the relevant link.