Stevenage and North Herts prepare to go to the polls
A THIRD of the council will be up for election in both North Herts and Stevenage.
There are 15 seats up for election at North Herts District Council (NHDC), when voters go to the polls on May 3.
There are five apiece in Letchworth GC and Hitchin, two in Baldock, and one each in Knebworth, Chesfield and Hitchwood Offa and Hoo.
The Tory run council currently has 34 Conservative councillors, eight Liberal Democrats, and seven Labour.
David Scholes, NHDC’s chief executive, said: “Voting in the local elections will enable residents to help decide the way key local services are delivered over the next five years, giving them a voice on issues that directly affect their communities.”
You may also want to watch:
At Stevenage Borough Council, there are 13 seats up for election.
Representatives from the Labour, Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Green Party, UKIP and Trade Unionists and Socialists Against Cuts parties are standing across those wards.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The Labour controlled council is currently made up of 27 Labour councillors, nine Conservatives and three Liberal Democrats.
• The deadline to register to vote in this year’s election or apply for a postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday. For more information, visit the relevant council website.
For all the stories in the run up to local elections, visit our election section by clicking on the link in the top right-hand corner. You can also view candidates by clicking on the relevant link.