Hitchin thief with 106 previous convictions is jailed again
- Credit: Archant
A prolific thief from Hitchin who has more than 100 previous convictions has been jailed again.
Stephen Cox, of Wilshere Crescent, was jailed for 12 weeks on Saturday – consecutive to a 90-day sentence imposed in lieu of fines, making a total of more than half a year.
The 49-year-old pleaded guilty to stealing food worth £5.48 from Esso in Hitchin on August 13, goods worth £26.96 from the town’s WHSmith on August 30, and £34.99 worth of items from Lloyds Pharmacy on Friday last week when he appeared at Hatfield Remand Court.
The bench, chaired by Stephen Godshaw, noted that this shoplifting came after some 106 previous theft offences – and jailed Cox.
In addition to the jail term, Cox must pay a total of £32.44 in compensation for the stolen goods.
You may also want to watch:
Cox’s previous offences include an incident last September when an off-duty police officer caught him in the act of theft at a Letchworth supermarket – after which he was jailed for 20 weeks.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash