FAMILIES in Comet Country are to be involved in the pilot of a huge nationwide scheme to help tackle childhood obesity. Stevenage is one of nine areas trying out the unique project which gets the whole family involved in healthy eating and a more active l
FAMILIES in Comet Country are to be involved in the pilot of a huge nationwide scheme to help tackle childhood obesity.
Stevenage is one of nine areas trying out the unique project which gets the whole family involved in healthy eating and a more active lifestyle.
Eventually 450 projects will run across the country in a partnership between supermarket giant Sainsbury's and obesity programme MEND - Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It!
The programme in Stevenage will be run by Janine Jackson and Julia Stables, Sainsbury's food advisors, with the assistance of a local Youth Sport Trust exercise trainer.
Activities on the programme include practical demonstrations, tips on healthy foods and advice on reading food labels as well as weekly games and sporting activities.
Janine said: "This is a great opportunity to get out in the local community and make a difference to families living in the area in a very practical way.
- 1 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 2 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 3 Luke Turley: 'I was told to be a hitter not a tripper'
- 4 August 2022 weekend closure planned for A602 near Watton-at-Stone
- 5 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 6 Van 'tactically stopped' on A1(M) after alleged attempted vehicle theft
- 7 Deserved win for Stevenage over Stockport says Steve Evans but it was definitely in doubt
- 8 Music festival Old Town Live set to return with stages in High Street and venues across Stevenage Old Town
- 9 Thameslink suffers 'staff shortage' with weekend disruption planned
- 10 Player ratings: Who stood out as Stevenage beat Stockport County?
"MEND is a great programme that actively tackles childhood obesity by involving the whole family in making healthier choices and following an active lifestyle.
"I'm very much looking to introducing this fantastic scheme to families in the Stevenage area."
The programme will take place on Monday and Wednesday evenings at Marriotts School from Monday, January 29.
Leaflets with details on how to sign up have been sent to local schools and doctors' surgeries and you can also register by calling MEND on 020 7168 7565.