Starlight walkers raise �53,000 for Garden House Hospice
OVER �53,000 was hopefully raised for the Garden House Hospice thanks to a mass charity walk by 500 women. They set off at midnight on Saturday from North Herts Leisure Centre to take part in the first 10-mile Starlight Walk to raise funds for the hospice
OVER �53,000 was hopefully raised for the Garden House Hospice thanks to a mass charity walk by 500 women.
They set off at midnight on Saturday from North Herts Leisure Centre to take part in the first 10-mile Starlight Walk to raise funds for the hospice, led by hospice nurse Jane Landon.
The route took them through Letchworth GC into Hitchin and back again around Letchworth GC and to the leisure centre - surrounding Garden House Hospice with support throughout the night.
The gentlemen were not left out of this very special event - their help was needed to act as marshals to ensure the ladies' safety.
You may also want to watch:
"We were very grateful to many of the local Rotarians and also friends and relatives of the walkers, who offered to act as marshals - making sure the event was both safe and enjoyable for everyone taking part," said Jenny Lupton, the hospice general manager.
"We also appreciated the support of our sponsors, including the Comet, who assisted in so many ways to make this first Starlight Walk so successful.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
"We counted up the sponsorship forms throughout the night and by the time the ladies returned to the leisure centre we were able to tell them we already had �53,000 pledged to help care for our patients and families.
"This is an amazing result, entirely due to great team spirit from everyone who took part and helped to make it possible."
Among those taking part were Dawn Bush and Sandra Lawrence whose father Ted Stacey died in the hospice in June.
Despite having completed 10 long miles and feeling quite chilly the ladies were still smiling at the end and asking about next year's event. If you would like to receive details, when they are available, of the Starlight Walk for September 2010, contact the fundraising office on 01462 679540 or email email@example.com