St Ippolyts couple celebrate 70th wedding anniversary
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Congratulations are due to Cyril and Jean Andrews from St Ippolyts, who today celebrate their platinum wedding anniversary – that’s 70 years of marriage.
A crowded Hitchin dance hall was where this extraordinary romance began in 1946. Cyril met Jean in a group of their friends, and knew she was the one straight away.
Cyril was born and bred in St Ippolyts, where the couple have lived ever since marrying at the historic parish church in 1948.
Cyril, who served for five years in the Second World War, lays a remembrance wreath each year at St Ippolyts Church.
Jean told the Comet they had found the card shop they checked did not sell cards for 70th anniversaries.
You may also want to watch:
The couple received a letter from the Queen for their 60th anniversary, and hope to find another greeting from their royal penpal this week.
Cyril and Jean will be celebrating their life of love with a party organised by their son Colin, with friends and family including their grandchild and two great-grandchildren.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 7 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards