Spurs legends line-up for Letchworth charity match
A TEAM of former Spurs players will be showing off their skills in a charity football match this weekend.
Tottenham Hotspur All Stars will line-up against Letchworth Garden City Eagles on Sunday to raise funds for Garden House Hospice and Sudden Adult Death Syndrome UK (SADS).
The annual charity fundraiser, organised by the club and sponsored by The Comet, is now in its third year and was orginally set up in memory of former Eagles player Antonio Samuels, who was stabbed to death in 2009.
Taking place at the Eagles ground on Pixmore playing fields in Baldock Road, behind North Herts Leisure Centre, the day will also see a Champions League football signed by Spurs’ 2010-2011 first team squad raffled off at 50p a ticket or three for �1.
“This year we felt that we would like the match to benefit a local charity and many people have been touched by the work of the hospice,” said Tony Eden, chairman of the Letchworth Garden City Eagles.
You may also want to watch:
Jason Valentine, manager of the Eagles senior team, added: “It is another proud day for Letchworth Garden City Eagles, we are proud to be supporting these charities and intend to raise as much money as we can.
“I have to say a big thank you to the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation (who sponsor the club) and everybody involved. We are also grateful to Spurs for their continued support.”
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
Those in the probable Spurs line-up include fans’ favourites such as Chris Waddle, Ian Walker, Tony Galvin, Clive Wilson, Garry Brooke, Steve Sedgley, John Lacey and former Stevenage FC boss Mark Stimson.
Gates to the charity match will open from 12pm for a 1pm kick off, with entry priced at �3 for adults and �1 for under 16s. Children wearing an Eagles shirt go free.
There will also be a selection of food, children’s activities and an outside bar on offer, with parking available at Letchworth Rugby Club.
*People are also being encouraged to go along and support the Letchworth Garden City Eagles first team, who will be playing Aston Clinton in the final of the Anagram Record Trophy at the nearby Herts FA county ground at 3pm on Sunday.