Spring fair at Letchworth’s Howard Garden Social and Day Centre raises £525
- Credit: Archant
The community came together in Letchworth last Saturday to raise hundreds of pounds for a cherished social club and day care centre.
The Howard Garden Social and Day Care Centre, an independent charity that provides companionship, hot meals and activities for more than 100 older people, raised £525 through a spring fair on Saturday.
Items on offer during the day at the centre in Norton Way South included homemade cakes, teddies and cards.
Care organiser Liz Allen told the Comet: “It was quite a slow day, I think because of the weather, but we still managed to raise £525, which is amazing.
“It was a fun day with a lot of stuff going on. We need these fundraisers to keep the centre going.
You may also want to watch:
“The highlight of the whole day was the support from the community – it spoke volumes that even though the weather was bad, we still had people coming in to support us.”
The next planned Howard Garden fundraiser is an auction evening on June 17, during the Letchworth Festival.
To find out more about the centre, which has been running since 1953, see howardgardensocialcentre.org and facebook.com/Howard-Garden-Social-Day-Care-Centre-1526465327575139, or give them a call on 01462 682524.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 7 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 8 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack