Sports pavilion is put on hold

PUBLISHED: 11:40 26 January 2006 | UPDATED: 09:30 06 May 2010

The sports pavilion

The sports pavilion

A NEW sports pavilion costing £450,000 may have to wait until next year. The old pavilion at the Sunderland Road Recreation Ground in Sandy has been there for 30 years and has reached the end of its life and it was hoped building would have started on a n

A NEW sports pavilion costing £450,000 may have to wait until next year.

The old pavilion at the Sunderland Road Recreation Ground in Sandy has been there for 30 years and has reached the end of its life and it was hoped building would have started on a new one this year.

Last year, Sandy Town Council formulated plans for a new pavilion and was successful in their application for funding from the Football Federation who will pay £250,000 of the costs.

"It would have been nice to have got the project off the ground this year but that is doubtful now," said Sandy Town Council clerk Trevor Stewart.

"It now looks like being towards the end of the year before further progress is made but a new pavilion is a much needed sporting facility for the town at the recreation ground.

"The old pavilion is in poor condition and hopefully we can start on the project next year.

"At least we have the funding organised from the Football Federation who will be meeting 60 per cent of the costs leaving us to find the remaining 40 per cent."

By the end of the year Sandy Town Council will, hopefully, have the plans drawn up ready to submit a planning application and seek tenders for the building work.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists