Sport stars’ honour
STARS of tomorrow were given a financial boost by Stevenage Borough Council in a bid to propel them into the Olympics when they come to London in 2012. More than 80 young people from Stevenage were honoured at this year s Talented Young People Awards cere
STARS of tomorrow were given a financial boost by Stevenage Borough Council in a bid to propel them into the Olympics when they come to London in 2012.
More than 80 young people from Stevenage were honoured at this year's Talented Young People Awards ceremony.
The sixth annual awards were held at the Stevenage campus of North Hertfordshire College and hosted by sports development officer Matthew Warren.
He said: "We have potentially got six or seven young people who are Olympic hopefuls and there could be even more by the time the event comes around."
You may also want to watch:
The financial awards were presented to young people, aged up to 25, to recognise their sporting, cultural or academic achievements.
Each person was awarded a grant of between £100 and £300 to go towards the cost of their sports equipment, exams and travel to and from training, classes and events.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
The grants were presented by Stevenage mayor Simon Speller.
In addition to the grants, three people received awards which recognised their sporting achievements.
Roller hockey ace Matt White, 16, is a pupil at Marriotts School, Stevenage, and claimed the Mayor's Award for Sporting Excellence.
The Stevenage Service to Sport Award went to Chris Hirons from Marriotts Gymnastics Club.
The Stevenage Borough Vixens were also successful winning the Lillian Strange Club/Team Award for their efforts in developing girls' football.