Special service at Hitchin church after Spain terror attacks, Sierra Leone landslides and Portugal wildfires
- Credit: Archant
A special service will be held at a Hitchin church on Tuesday evening in the wake of the terror attacks in Spain, Sierra Leone landslides and wildfires in Portugal.
The service will held at Our Lady’s Catholic church on the corner of Nightingale Road and Grove Road.
Thoughts and prayers will be offered to all of those affected by these tragic situations and others around the world.
Some 467 people have been confirmed killed by the landslides near Sierra Leone’s capital Freetown on Monday, with more than 600 others missing.
The death toll from this week’s terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils presently stands at 16, including one killed in an explosion in Alcanar – though a great many more have been injured, many of them seriously.
You may also want to watch:
In Portugal, forest fires have cut off the town of Macao, home to about 2,000 people, with a state of emergency declared as firefighters struggle to tackle two major blazes in the centre of the country.
Everyone is welcome to join the service at Our Lady’s, which will start at 7.15pm.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket