Sophia’s Adele performance tops 5m on YouTube
A young singing sensation has topped five million hits on YouTube with her performance at a talent show.
Sophia Khoury’s version of Adele’s Someone Like You has been viewed by millions worldwide after a video of her singing at the Stevenage Leisure Park Search for a Stevenage Star competition last August was posted to the site.
The 10-year-old who goes to Camps Hill Junior School in Stevenage and lives in the town has since professionally recorded the song with a top producer who was knocked out by her vocals.
Mike Bennett who has worked with Tina Turner, The Stranglers and Ian Brown recorded Sophia and released the song on iTunes after a chance meeting with Sophia’s dad Fadi in the back of his Stevenage cab.
“We knocked our heads together – well mainly Mike’s head - and went into a top recoding studio,” Mr Khoury said. “He also recorded a song specially written for Sophia called They Say.
You may also want to watch:
“The video thing has just gone nuts. She’s on radio in North Carolina and there are people in Switzerland sending links to people I know who are saying ‘I know – it’s my cab driver’s daughter’.
“She has over 32,000 likes and over 30,000 comments which are really positive.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
Mr Khoury has also uploaded other recordings of Sophia to YouTube including A Team by Ed Sheeran and next week she goes back into the studio to record another Adele track – Turning Tables. And last week she was at another talent show at John Henry Newman School, “showing them how it is done,” Mr Khoury laughed.
He added it has been a great few months which all stemmed from the Search For A Stevenage Star competition.
“She hadn’t done anything like this before, but Sophia has been singing around the house from a very young age.”
He added the family will let her do things in her own time, while helping her in any way they can.
“She has a huge talent and we are doing everything we can to support her and help her continue on a path of success.
“Sophia has got her heart set on entering Britain’s Got Talent and hopes that one day she will become a big star.”