‘So unnecessary when recycling is free’ – Baldock woman finds entire road near Weston blocked by fly-tipping
- Credit: Archant
A Baldock woman who came across a fly-tipping site blocking a rural road has condemned the culprits.
Steph English, who was running with her dog near Weston on Tuesday morning, had a look through some of the items to see if she could identify the owner, but without success.
“This is a country road used by farmers to access their land, by horseriders, by runners and ramblers alike,” she said.
“It’s so unnecessary when you can take it to the recycle centre in Letchworth or Stevenage for free.
“Even if you drive a van all that’s needed is a free permit from the council. It’s quite shocking, really.”
You may also want to watch:
Peter Carey, North Herts District Council’s environmental health manager,said: “Not only are there financial implications for clearing this kind of thing up, which affects the council tax payer, but it is an eyesore and it ruins our lovely countryside.
“Fly-tipping is a serious offence and we will seek to prosecute those responsible. Householders should be aware that if they give their waste to an unlicensed carrier for disposal, and the waste is subsequently fly-tipped and traced back to them, they will also be open to investigation and prosecution. Always check that the person you are giving your waste to is authorised to take it.”
If you witness fly-tipping in progress, call 999. To report a fly-tipping incident use the district council’s ‘do it online’ facility at north-herts.gov.uk.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision