Snow and ice spark chaos on roads in Stevenage and Hitchin
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday). In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush. Police reported many roads in S
Snow and ice brought chaos on the roads around Stevenage and Hitchin this morning (Wednesday).
In some areas over an inch of snow fell bringing problems in the rush hour with the snow falling on top of already frozen slush.
Police reported many roads in Stevenage were completely gridlocked with slow moving traffic crawling on the snow covered roads. The main problem areas were Fairlands Way between the A1155 Verity Way
It was a similar story in Hitchin where the B656 was badly affected by the hazardous conditions in London Road, Parkway and Heath Lane.
In some areas of the A1 (M) traffic was almost at a standstill southbound between junction 10 at Stotfold and junctions 9 and 8 at Letchworth Gate and Stevenage Coreys Mill. Further south, traffic was also slow moving beyond junction 7 at Stevenage and further south at the Hatfield Tunnel in the roadworks area.
Police reported one accident in Stevenage with a van ploughing into a brick wall in Wisden Road at the junction with Grace Way. The driver was uninjured.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening