Smith: Stevenage ‘fortunate’ to sign Beleck
Cameroon striker has joined Boro on loan until the end of the season
Stevenage are fortunate to have signed Steve Beleck on loan, according to manager Gary Smith.
Boro snapped up the Cameroon youngster late last week and the striker impressed after coming off the bench in Saturday’s 2-1 win at Crewe.
The 19-year-old arrived at Stevenage from Watford, where he is currently on loan from Italian side Udinese. He also spent time on loan at AEK Athens last season.
The move caught some by surprise but loan deals between clubs in different counties [i.e. Udinese and Watford] are currently recognised as regular transfers, meaning a player can be re-loaned as long as the deal stretches between two separate transfer windows.
Speaking after Saturday’s win, Smith said: “I was really pleased with Steve coming on.
“Something we’ve been missing up there for a good while is that turn of pace, but he is a physical individual to work [the ball] into as well.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 4 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 5 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 6 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 9 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 10 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
“He’s got a terrific background for such a young player and we’re very fortunate to get him. The only thing that hasn’t happened is that he didn’t get off the mark and I would have loved to have seen that.
“He’s a new body, his broken English would have probably been pretty difficult to understand if he had scored, but it would have been nice to see.
“It wasn’t to be but the signs are very good. I like what I saw.”