Smith looking to strengthen strike force
Stevenage boss says Freddy Eastwood is ‘on the list’ but he’s yet to speak to the front man
Gary Smith says he is looking to strengthen his strike force ahead of the new season.
Smith, who was back in Stevenage this week for pre-season training with his players, told the Comet yesterday [Wednesday] that his squad was a ‘little light’ in the striker department, and that he was hoping to tie up some deals before the start of the season.
Freddy Eastwood, a free agent after his contract at Coventry City ended this summer, is one striker Boro, and Southend United, have been linked with, and although Smith said the front man ‘was on the list’ he added that he wasn’t expecting anything to happen on that front just yet.
Smith is pleased, however, to have strengthened his midfield following the departure of John Mousinho and Joel Byrom.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about his summer dealings, Smith said: “[Midfield] was an area where we were looking a little light.
“James Dunne, Anthony Grant and Greg [Tansey] give us some very nice options in the central part of that midfield area to compliment Michael Bostwick.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“David Gray comes in at right-back for us and Steve Arnold is a goalkeeping choice for us, and I’m sure there will be some other bodies [coming in].
“Of course we’re looking pretty light up front at the moment so some names and bodies to fill those gaps would be helpful.
“There’s plenty of time before the season starts to add the sort of quality and to make the right choices.
“Freddy [Eastwood] is a very talented player; he’s had a terrific career to date.
“I certainly haven’t had a conversation with Freddy. He’s on the list but we’re not expecting anything on that yet.”