Smith delighted with Arnold impact
Former Wycombe goalkeeper has been a revelation since making his debut against Notts County
GARY Smith says Steve Arnold has all the makings of a ‘fantastic keeper’ after his superb display between the sticks at MK Dons on Saturday.
On three occasions the former Wycombe Wanderers goalkeeper pulled off terrific saves to deny the hosts a way back into the game after Lucas Akins’ goal had put Stevenage ahead, and speaking after the game Smith had nothing but praise for the man who has seemingly replaced Chris Day as his first choice goalkeeper.
“His debut up at Notts County was a wonderful foundation and I think we are seeing a really, truly fantastic goalkeeper in the making here,” the Stevenage manager said.
“He is all of six foot four and half as wide. He is very, very agile for a big guy.
You may also want to watch:
“His kicking is fantastic, he gets good distance and he gets good direction and he is a real aggressive style goalkeeper.
“He is a bit of a throwback. He comes and gets crosses, he punches, he puts his body on the line and he has been a good reason as to why we have been able to push on.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision