Slimming World donations in the bag for Biggleswade Cancer Research
- Credit: Archant
The Biggleswade branch of Cancer Research UK has been given more than 230 bags of clothing in donations from a Slimming World group.
The Roysia groups’ members – who are based over the county border in Royston – encouraged friends and family to spring clean their wardrobes and help stock the Biggleswade shop, as part of the‘Big Slimming World Clothes Throw’.
The slimmers have collectively lost an impressive 120 stone since January this year. Last year the campaign raise £1.7 million for Cancer Research UK, and this year Slimming World aim to raise £2m.
Alison Walker, manager of the Biggleswade branch of Cancer Research UK, said: “We’re really grateful to all the Royston and surrounding area Slimming World members who cleared out their cupboards and generously donated their unwanted items to Cancer Research UK shops.
“All funds raised will go towards the charity’s research to beat over 200 types of cancer, helping to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.”
You may also want to watch:
With each bag being is worth up to £25, consultant Lesley Thornalley-Grey hopes the Roysia group can make a significant contribution to the national goal.
She said: “The incredible members of our local groups have amazed me with their enthusiasm, dedication and commitment once again!
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“This year’s Big Clothes Throw has been a fantastic success, and I can’t believe just how many bags our members, their friends and families have managed to collect for Cancer Research UK.
“It’s been so rewarding and I’m so proud to help pull together such a phenomenal amount of stock for such a worthwhile cause.
“Knowing they’ll never need their ‘before’ clothes again, when I told my group about the campaign they couldn’t wait to take part.
“Not only is the clothes throw a perfect opportunity for all of us to celebrate our slimming success, it is also vital we spread the message that keeping a healthy weight could reduce the risk of developing 10 different types of cancer. We really hope our bag collection will help to increase understanding of how weight affects cancer risk.”
To find Slimming World groups in your area, go to slimmingworld.co.uk/joining-a-group/nearest-group.aspx.