Sleeping woman rescued from burning building
A woman was rescued from a burning flat on Wednesday night. Fire crews forced entry into the ground floor flat on Archer Road in Stevenage just after 11.15pm after a neighbour heard a fire alarm and called the emergency services. Three fire crews from S
A woman was rescued from a burning flat on Wednesday night.
Fire crews forced entry into the ground floor flat on Archer Road in Stevenage just after 11.15pm after a neighbour heard a fire alarm and called the emergency services.
Three fire crews from Stevenage and Hitchin found the flat heavily smoke-logged and a woman in her 70s inside asleep.
As the fire crews dealt with the flames, thought to have been caused by a cigarette in a waste paper bin, two ambulance crews treated her for smoke inhalation before taking her to Lister Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was declared out shortly after 11.30pm.
Station commander Ian Parkhouse, who was at the scene, said: "The smoke alarm undoubtedly saved the occupant from serious injury. This incident once again highlights that smoke alarms save lives, and we urge all residents to install a smoke detector in their home.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
"If you smoke, remember to check that cigarettes are out properly - when you've finished with them wet them and empty your ashtray into a metal bin outside the house."
He urged anyone who wanted a free home safety check to call the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service on freephone 0800 5873347.