Shout for women firefighters
WOMEN who may be considering a change in career are invited to a find out more about becoming a firefighter at an open day. It will be held on Saturday, March 10, at the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service s Longfield training centre in Hitchin Road, St
WOMEN who may be considering a change in career are invited to a find out more about becoming a firefighter at an open day.
It will be held on Saturday, March 10, at the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service's Longfield training centre in Hitchin Road, Stevenage.
The day will include an introduction to the service and an overview of the role of a firefighter and the selection process.
"Women are currently under-represented in operational roles in the fire and rescue service and this is why many people perceive firefighting as a male occupation," said deputy chief fire officer Mark Yates.
You may also want to watch:
"Firefighting is a great career opportunity for women who are fit and active and enjoy a challenge and we would encourage women who are considering changing their career to come along to this event to find out more."
Visitors will have the opportunity to talk to existing firefighters, the service's trainers and physical fitness team, human resources team and the equalities advisor.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
There will also be the chance to try out the physical and psychometric tests, and practise answering questions similar to those used in the application process.
The event is on from 9.30am until 5pm and places are limited so book by ringing 01992 507674.