Shoppers get ready - The wait is nearly over for opening of new Debenhams store in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
The much-anticipated Stevenage Debenhams store will now open its doors earlier than expected.
Work began to build the two-storey department store on the Roaring Meg Retail and Leisure Park in April 2015, and in October the same year an opening date of autumn 2017 was set.
But work has started on fitting out the inside of the store, and the Comet has been informed it will now open this summer.
Well-known for its popular range of fashion, beauty, home and children’s departments, the arrival of the two-storey department store to the town, located at the former Toys R Us site, sees the creation of more than 200 jobs.
Phil Huby of Aberdeen Asset Management – which owns the leisure park – said he is excited for the opening of what he called a ‘fantastic new addition’ to the Roaring Meg.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The construction of Debenhams originally started in April 2015 and we are delighted that the fit out has begun.
“The retailer is now starting to work on the inside of the unit, ready to welcome a number of fantastic concessions and restaurants.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
“We have a terrific mix of retailers and services at Roaring Meg, so to be able to add to that is brilliant for Stevenage.
“We are sure it is going to be a huge success with our shoppers and look forward to welcoming new customers from across the region.”