Shop staff praised for bravery in Clifton raids
- Credit: Archant
Shop staff have been praised for their bravery in fighting back against criminals involved in two Clifton raids.
Two men made attempts to raid the One Stop shop on Stefford Road and Clifton filling station on Bank Holiday Monday, May 27, but did not count on the tenacity of shop staff in defending themselves and their businesses.
Emmanuel Buckland, 39, pleaded guilty to robbery and burglary at a hearing earlier this year and was sentenced to three years in prison last week, while Stuart Battams, 41, had also pleaded guilty to two charges of burglary and was jailed for two years.
One woman working at the One Stop shop managed to pull the coat off would-be robber Buckland, while minutes later another shop owner dragged him over her counter in an attempt to thwart a robbery at the filling station.
Detective Constable Surinder Ram, of Greyfriars CID, said: “The staff in these incidents were really brave and tried their hardest to prevent money being stolen. They deserve the greatest of credit for their actions.
You may also want to watch:
“At the filling station, Rasika Yakanwala was temporarily on her own while her husband had gone next door and was absolutely terrified when these two men, both much larger than her, invaded the staff area by the cash desk. She fully believed they were going to hurt her in order to get what they wanted but instinctively fought back to protect herself and her property. Both fully deserve a substantial punishment for their involvement in these frightening offences.”
Mrs Yakanwala was given an award by the Gulf petrol company for her bravery, after her actions were captured on the shop CCTV.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
She sustained bruises on her back, legs and hands as she grappled with Buckland over the counter.