Shooting club which has been in Hitchin for 17 years needs new home
- Credit: Archant
A shooting club which has been meeting in Hitchin for 17 years is looking for a new home.
North Herts Air Weapons Club is currently based at Hitchin Swimming Centre’s old changing rooms but the group is now at risk of becoming homeless after owners North Herts District Council decided not to renew the building’s lease.
The council made the decision as the pool’s former changing rooms are in a poor condition, with a leaking roof a problem for a number of years (CHECKING).
Members of the club – which has been running for more than 25 years – meet at the building three times a week but will gather there for the last time on September 30 as they cannot afford to pay for the repair work the building requires.
The building is suitable for the disabled and consists of a small reception area, kitchen, four six-metre pistol ranges and eight 10-metre rifle ranges with bay facilities.
You may also want to watch:
Each week the club holds a public evening, a members night and a county rifle and pistol championship training session, and regularly hosts the annual county airgun championships.
North Herts Air Weapons Club committee member Paul Conder said: “This is both a blow for club members, championship shooters and shooting in general, as there is no other facility like this in or around the local area. The club has a limited amount of funds to start up again but we still have the support and help of all its loyal members and a determination to keep the club running at a new facility.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
“We want to reach out to the wider community and see our sport and the future of it flourish. We have a wide range of members and a constant interest from people trying out the sport or coming back to it after years away. We our looking for a disused indoor or outdoor, temporary or permanent location to use as a new club premises in or around the Hitchin or the North Herts area.
“The skills of various club members, many of whom are trades people, mean that many venues would be suitable and will enable members to continue the shooting traditions of this long established club.”
Anyone who can help the club find a new home should contact Paul on email@example.com or 01462 626374.