Sheringham yet to decide on whether to appeal Hitchcock red card
- Credit: Archant
Striker, on loan from MK Dons, was sent off on his debut against Notts County
Teddy Sheringham says he’s still undecided whether to appeal Tom Hitchcock’s red card.
The striker, who joined the club on a one-month loan deal from MK Dons on Friday, saw red along with Mawouna Amevor after a tussle between the two players in injury time in Boro’s 2-0 home defeat to Notts County on Saturday.
Asked in today’s press conference ahead of the Capital One Cup match with Ipswich Town whether he will appeal the red card, Sheringham said: “We’ve just been talking about that. We had a lot of conversations yesterday and today, and [we] still don’t really know.
“It has to be done by 1pm today if we’re going to do that. We’ll see.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a strange one. At the time I thought both could get nothing, both could get bookings, both could get reds. It depends on the referee, and he decided to do that.
“Bit strange in my view, because there was five minutes to go in the game. The game’s over. Does he need to really be doing that? I didn’t think so. It’s not so much the point of being sent off, it’s that he misses three games now.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Sheringham added: “I thought he was doing quite well with the adrenaline he was showing.
“He added a bit of passion and zest to our forward line which is exactly what you want from a striker coming on and a new signing.
“You want him to look like he’s enthusiastic and he certainly did that but probably overstepped the mark a little bit.”