Sheringham: We deserved the three points at Bristol
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss pleased with composed display from his side
Teddy Sheringham says Stevenage deserved their victory at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday evening.
Chris Whelpdale struck the winner midway through the second half after Matty Taylor had earlier cancelled out Steven Schumacher’s opening goal.
After the game Sheringham said he was pleased with how his side performed, including a good all-round performance from Fleetwood loanee Jamille Matt on his first start for the club.
“I felt we started the game very well and got on the front foot. We deserved to be in front and maybe could have been more in front after 20 minutes,” Sheringham said.
You may also want to watch:
“Then they took over and put us under pressure for 25 minutes at the end of the first half.
“We had to ride our luck a little bit in that period, but we gathered our composure and got another cracking goal from Whelps. We were not really hanging on but the pressure was building again, as you’d expect.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
“When they’re getting a lot of free-kicks and balls coming into the box you take a deep breath sometimes and think ‘please not’. It is a kind of relief but a feeling that we deserved the victory. Everyone will see it differently in certain instances, but I felt we deserved the three points.”
Speaking about the decision to start Matt up front alongside Tom Pett with regular starter Armand Gnanduillet on the bench, Sheringham said: “I think Gnanduillet has come in and given us a presence up there, but he’s played a lot of games since he’s come in which he hasn’t been used to.
“So we changed it and put Jamille up there and I thought he was excellent with a helping hand from Petty, who I thought was fantastic as well.
“When your front two get hold of the ball you’ve got a chance of doing well in football matches, which is what we did.”