Sheringham unable to ‘throw any light’ on penalty decision
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss left ‘disappointed’ with decision as side knocked out of Capital One Cup
Teddy Sheringham says he “can’t throw any light” on the penalty controversy in last night’s defeat at Ipswich Town.
With Boro trailing 2-1 and with 10 minutes to go, Stevenage’s Dean Parrett came together with an Ipswich defender in the box leading to a wave of the flag by the assistant referee before the referee pointed to the spot.
The two men then discussed the incident, and they reversed the decision and instead gave a drop ball in the area – much to the bemusement of Boro’s players and staff.
“Who gave the penalty in the first place, who pointed to the spot? I don’t know”, Sheringham said.
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t throw any light on it. I was told the linesman gave it and then a few Ipswich players surrounded the linesman and the ref gave it, then the linesman’s changed his mind and that’s where we’re at with it.
“It wasn’t a penalty in my view but the ref and the linesman gave it and then they changed their minds so it’s very disappointing but it happens.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Sheringham added: “It was frustrating. I [didn’t go in] to see the ref. I’m not going to change his mind, like the linesman changed his mind.
“We were told at the start of the season players aren’t allowed to surround the ref or linesman, that they’re trying to outlaw that, but a few of them went over to the official and he changes his mind. What’s right and what’s wrong?”