Sheringham’s reign at Stevenage: five key matches
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage severed ties with boss Teddy Sheringham this week. Here are five of the key games from his time at the club.
Aug 8. Stevenage 0 Notts County 2
The opening game of the season for the new man in charge was always going to be of great interest to the wider public, but it ended badly as the Magpies had more possession, shots and goals. Stevenage struggled to get a foothold in the game, and the visitors deserved the points. Both sides had a player sent off including, for Boro, Tom Hitchcock who had not long come off the bench for his first appearance for the club after joining on loan from MK Dons.
Oct 31. Stevenage 1 Oxford United 5
Three months into his tenure, Sheringham suffered his biggest defeat as Michael Appleton’s side played Boro off the park and buried five goals past Jesse Joronen. Appleton’s men were outstanding, but they were allowed to play through the home side’s midfield time and again. Stevenage also had Jamie McCombe and Michael Tonge sent off.
Dec 5. Yeovil Town 1 Stevenage 0
Just two weeks after the same two sides had met in the league in a 2-2 draw, they were again on level terms in this FA Cup match heading into the final five minutes. Boro were hoping to hold on for the draw and take the tie back to the Lamex, but things backfired when Ben Tozer struck late on to put the Glovers into the next round. Going out of the cup would go on to have an impact on Sheringham’s budget going forward.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 4 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 9 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 10 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
Dec 19. Stevenage 1 Accrington Stanley 1
Stevenage had won the week before at AFC Wimbledon, and here they took the lead in the first minute thanks to Armand Gnanduillet. It looked like Boro would hold on for the points, but the visitors grabbed an equaliser in the 85th minute for a share of the points. It was the first of five matches in the next 10 games where Boro would concede in the 85th minute or later.
Jan 30. York City 2 Stevenage 1
Stevenage lost this ‘must-not-lose’ game against the league’s basement side on Saturday, and in doing so it gave a boost to the five sides below them in the division. It was the club’s eighth match without a win in a run stretching back to December 12, and it was also Sheringham’s last in charge.