Sheringham: My favourite time in football was at Millwall
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss played for Manchester United and Spurs, but says the team Boro face this weekend gave him his ‘best time’ in the game
Stevenage return to England in the next 24 hours following their Spanish training camp - and up next for Teddy Sheringham is a clash against one of his former sides.
Millwall are Boro’s opponents this Saturday at the Lamex Stadium as Sheringham and his men hope to get a victory over League One opposition.
So far this summer Boro have beaten both Wealdstone and St Neots Town, but last week they tripped up 3-0 at home to another one of Sheringham’s former teams, Nottingham Forest.
And yet for a man who has won Premier League titles and the Champions League with Manchester United in 1999, Sheringham says that his eight years spent at Millwall at the start of his career were his ‘best’ in football.
The former West Ham and Spurs striker said: “[They were] fantastic memories for me at Millwall.
“A lot of people ask me what was my best time in football expecting me to say Tottenham or Man Utd but my time growing up and coming through the ranks at Millwall and having such a great time and getting the club into the top division and the Premier Division for the first time in the club’s history was monumental for me.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
“It was great for all the players, we all still keep in touch. It was great and I have very fond memories looking back at my time at Millwall.”
Following this weekend’s game against the Lions, Boro’s senior team have one more pre-season game remaining this summer against a Spurs XI on August 1.